Wisteria floribunda agglutinin or lectin (WFA/WFL) is composed of four subunits. This lectin is not blood group specific although it does react stronger with human type A1 cells over A2, B, or O cells. The presence of a sialic acid residue may cause a lack of WFA reactivity. WFA contains a strong hemagglutinin activity and is a potent mitogen, both strongly inhibited by GalNAc, although mitogenic activity is also inhibited by N,N'-diacetylchitobiose. Affinity purified WFA/WFL (SKU: 21510012) is labeled with FITC (fluorescein isothiocyanate) and has an appropriate number of fluorochromes bound to provide the optimum staining characteristics for this lectin. FITC conjugates have been used in a variety of immunohistochemical and flow cytometry applications. This product comes in a stabilized liquid form.
- Source: Wisteria Floribunda (Japanese Wisteria)
- Activity: Less than 4 mg/ml will agglutinate human type O erythrocytes. Less than 1 mg/ml will agglutinate neuraminidase treated erythrocytes.
- Protein Concentration (Based on OD 280): 2 mg purified WFA - FITC / 1 mL buffer
- Carbohydrate Specificity: N-Acetylgalactosamine
- Inhibitory Carbohydrate: Chitin hydrolysateor 500 mM N-Acetylglucosamine with acidor salt
- Mitogenic Activity: Yes
- Conjugation: FITC
- Excitation: Maximum at 495-500 nm
- Emission: Maximum at 514-521 nm
Storage and Stability:
Store frozen at -20°C in amber vials or covered with foil in appropriate aliquot sizes. Avoid freeze thaw cycles. Can be stored at 2-8 °C for short term use. Clarify by centrifugation, if needed.